Saturday, January 5, 2008

Un-Decking the Halls

I am depressed.

We're UN-decorating the house. This is always the SADDEST day of the year for me. Seriously. You saw the pics of the house all done up. I take my Christmas decorating very seriously. And once it's all down the house is drab and dull.

So to that end, we're taking EVERYTHING down quite yet...

We got Rene Baumier all de-baubled, de-garlanded and de-lighted. And now he's standing all cold and forlorn out on the back balcony... that is until Wednesday when he'll be taking to that great mulcher in the shy and in the spring he'll be part of countless other beloved Christmas Trees and be mulching the fine gardens, trees and planters all around Montréal.

We'll miss you Rene, you were a magical tree...



You even loved it so in our home that you began growing again, even though you no longer had any roots. You began to sprout forth with fresh pale green needles...



This evening and tomorrow we'll de-decorate the rest of the house. The computer room, living room, and bedroom.

We're leaving up the main window and balcony lights for a few more days... they're not at all Christmas specific.. (no red and or green) just clear lights and snowflakes... And since it's still very much Winter, they'll stay for another week or so at least. I just can take it all down at once, I can't.

Tomorrow is Epiphany, so Didier will be baking a Galette de Rois. A rather French tradition to be served on January 6th. So maybe that'll boost my spirits... if not I'll just get drunk...

2 comments:

Ma Horton said...

I like white lights all winter and in the summer ... why not ? If you like it you like it . I find it very calming .

Sean Newbury said...

I have to say I 110% agree with you. I had tiki torches on the roof top terrace last summer - and I'll do that again with the citrinella oil, 'cause we get these weird shad fly like bugs ALL summer in the dusky hours... - but I'm going white minis this summer. No Snowflake motif I assure you, but little white twinkling lights... hell yea