Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Babel

So we watched Babel tonight.

Didier has been wanting to watch it for some time now. So, since it was on TMN ce soir we watched.

I'll admit I was not that drawn in. I found myself walking back and forth from the living room, to the computer room... (never a good sign for me)

It was good, I guess. I'm sure I'm alone here, but I though it was a bit too, preachy for me. heh, guess I'm one of the jaded masses that this movie was about. There was this whole 'artsy' pretense that was a little too much for me. (and I can get into some rather artsy and alternative flicks!)

I honestly wonder, it not for Kate Blanchet and Le Brad, would this movie have done so well? To say a film needs the cache of a 'superstar' is a tired. I am a firm believer that if a movie is good, people will see it regardless, and word of mouth is the one of the most powerful sources. I actually avoid more movies because of particular actors, as opposed to seeing movies with those I prefer.
Seeing as they were the only two actors I recognized, It made me think I'd have preferred two other 'unknowns' in their roles.

What I did appreciate was the whole '6 degrees' aspect of it, the connectedness of everyone and I'll admit it makes me think of how my actions here, might actually affect those elsewhere in the world, but that's about it.

I dunno. I'm glad I saw it, but more glad that it didn't cost me $12 for a ticket and $12 for snacks.

Misster-Kitty give's Babel 6 hairballs outta 10.

5 comments:

JB said...

I thought it was s-l-o-w. I appreciated how well-acted it was on the part of Pitt and Blanchett. I think the fact that they gave you a sense of having a history together is something only good actors can do. Yes, sometimes the secret of that is in the writing, but in this case the two of them conveyed their imaginary history with facial expressions and moods. The story, though - My God. Real life can be depressing enough, can't it? At least in a movie like Paul Haggis' Crash, there's some sense of hope at the end. You get the feeling a few of the characters have had a bit of an epiphany, and things will be better in their worlds (and therefore our world) because of it..but I didn't get an ultimate sense of hope from Babel.

Sean Newbury said...

Thank you!

I was going to commment on Crash actually but took it out. That was a movie that drew me in, and kept me there, and ultimatly there was that hope, as you say that they got it. In Babal the only one that seems to really get it was the man whose house Pitt and Blanchett are at.

At any rate, I just really don't see what all the fuss was about.

Maria said...

If you were walking back and forth from the movie to the computer room it couldn't have been all that good. By your actions it sounded almost painful. lol

Bruno Laliberté said...

BTW: love-love-love "CRASH".
as for babel,
don't worry kitty,
i haven't seen it yet,
but probably will,
as it's playing on the movie network, when i have nothing else to do..
my friends saw it, & none were really enchanted by it, so...
i'll go on a limb here, not having seen it,
but maybe it as a good idea to start with, but through diecting, acting, editing (!!!), something got lost on the way...
when i do see it,
i'll certainly post smething about it...as usual!!
if you see knives or a box of kleenex, maybe the comments won't be that good...
D~

Sean Newbury said...

TB .. it's on again on the TMN on Sat at 8 pm I think... (check your local listings. heh)

I'd say "Enjoy" but well...